In today’s time when the Internet of Things has already made significant revolutionary changes, exceptional and valuable telecommunication engineers are immensely prominent technical professionals. For they are the lever and pulley which will bind the essence of the future and present. Telecom recruitment can enable telecom engineers to easily find employment in their core sectors of operation as well as in diverse industrial realms of software development, defense, and space technology.
Types of Job Opportunities That a Telecom Engineer can Avail
The two basic categories of jobs incorporated by the Engineering Recruitment Agencies for a telecom engineer include:
• Fieldwork: These comprise of work field installations and maintenance work wherein the telecom engineer might be asked to go work anywhere within the country or abroad. The pay scale for these jobs is ideally not high. However, they can be beneficial for a person who wants to gain an in-depth knowledge of the hardware and the various equipment.
• Office Job: This category is sub-divided into 3 types of profiles namely:
(I) Development: This involves building network equipment or working on the device firmware or on the implementation of network protocols. In order to start working in this kind of projects, one must have a deep understanding of the basics of networking and must be familiar with the approaches of a programming language.
(II) Testing: This includes testing the product in a simulated environment. A high-level understanding of telecom and networking is required in this field
(III) Maintenance: This high profile work can be quite intense. Majority of the work involves the setup and maintenance of network and even a single mistake can result in the loss of connectivity for an entire city.
Telecom Sector has surely got an expanded scope when it comes to providing job opportunities and career growth. But the skill sets required to avail these opportunities are quite crucial as they can invariably change according to the nature of the job. The ten most important telecom engineer skills that an employer should include are listed below:
1. Cloud computing skills: Cloud computing skills are a blend of skills needed to build and run software (including stack knowledge like Azure or OpenStack) in the cloud. A good grasp of networking and virtualization will act as launching pads for creating more technologically advanced skills.
2. IT Support Skills and Network Engineering: Accurate understanding about various types of networks including WLAN, MAN, LAN, and WAN is a must in this field. The telecom engineer must adroitly handle a situation of network crisis or a pernicious malware attack which can potentially act as a threat for the company.
3. Programming: Though hard-core programming might not be necessary for all sectors, yet areas such as networking and data centers are increasingly becoming more dependent on specialized software. Telecom engineers with an ardent grasp of the programming compatible with their sphere of action will have an edge.
4. Certification and Value-adding: Documenting various certifications offered from time to time by well-reputed organizations such as the Institute of Electronics and Electrical Engineers Computer Society, the Society of Cable and Telecommunications Engineers, and the National Workforce Centre for Emerging Technologies will be helpful during a promotion or while applying for a new job.
5. Soft skills: These include good interpersonal communication which is mandatory for a sharp growth trajectory. Communicating intelligently with not just your colleagues and bosses at an office, but also clients, vendors and customers marks as an expectation.
6. Coding: The ability to code in Perl or Python is also something that the employer must be able to execute.
7. The integrity of the service: The ability to implement quality of service features in order to look after the integrity of the job profile is an acquired skill set.
8. Deep understanding of relevant metrics and analytics for telecom networks must be attained.
9. Good documentation practices: These are unique and can drive the employer towards exploring a whole new successful career front.
10. Calibrating, operating and interpreting the resulting data, having the ability to code and resolve troubleshooting purposes is a great skill set.
All these skill sets are most commonly desired amongst different telecom engineer positions, varying from one job profile to another.
Kyra is a Hiring Director at Alliance Recruitment Agency – an IT Recruitment Agency. She specializes in helping with international recruiting, legal recruitment India, staffing in Dubai, HR services and Careers advice service for overseas and international businesses.