Home is our last sanctuary. We found that out during the outbreak of the pandemic Covid-19. Naturally, we want the best for our home. It is where we spend most of our time. I Am Home, is both metaphoric and literal.
Home is the biggest investment we make in our lives. Investment in purchasing one or renting one. Within reason, we plan, build. equip and decorate it so we can live a comfortable life.
Today we are going to talk about that aspect of a home that is often neglected and ignored. Ignored simply because often we cannot see it! It is a folly as silly as assuming there is no air only because we can’t see it. It is the domestic Mould we are going to talk about.
Mould is a type of fungus. Unlike yeast, these are multicellular and grow filaments called hyphae. The filaments are colorless, so we don’t often acknowledge their presence in our midst. When they develop spores at the end of the hyphae, they become visible because spores are coloured. The problem with spores is that they have a nasty habit of going airborne. When they are airborne, they are invisible. These spores can a number of health issues and the experience of living in the house becomes less than ideal.
The fact that you can see moulds means, the mould formation is an advanced stage. Visible moulds means there are spores flying around the space. These spores can cause allergy, sleep disorders and number of other problems. Besides, appearance of moulds gives an impression of an unkempt home.
Moulds are formed under certain conditions. They flourish in spaces where there is less light, low ventilation, humid air and damp surfaces. Unfortunately, several areas in a home offer them this ideal condition such as bathrooms, ceiling where there is water seepage, hidden corners and so on. Once spores are formed, they spread fast from room to room.
Though there are over ten thousand types of moulds, only 5 of them are commonly found in our homes. Spergillus (yellow/green colour), Cladosporium (black/green colour) and Stachybotrys Chartarum (aka black mould). Of these Stachybotrys Chartarum is the most toxic to our health.
According to World Health Organization (WHO) mould is a health hazard, which is compared with the dangers posed by asbestos. Mould produces a compound called mycotoxin, which can result in multiple health problems, ranging from respiratory diseases to vascular illness. The aged, pregnant and children are specially vulnerable to it.
Unfortunately getting rid of ones homes from moulds is not that simple. A common domestic cleaning agent is not sufficient to remove the moulds. Using a wrong agent in a wrong way can instead aggravate the problem. Using a vacuum cleaner for instance to remove carpet moulds can house the moulds inside the vacuum cleaner and spread to other areas when using that vacuum cleaner.
Instead, one must use a specialist mould removal and remediation service such as Mould Defense, based in Sydney, Australia. They have the right technology, expertise and equipment to rid a home of moulds, remove airborne spores and make a home a safe place to live in again!